Sunday, October 16, 2011

RIP Steve

As you know we recently had the passing of Steve Jobs. It was not known here how sick he was. So I decided to go up to the Apple Flagship store on Fifth Avenue to see if Apple were doing anything to remember what an amazing man Steve was.

Well the store had not done anything, but the public had created a temporary shrine to him. People leaving Macintosh Apples, messages of love and support on post-it notes as well as old i-pods and photos.




Like most of the population I did not personally know Steve, but walking around Manhattan that day it really felt like we had lost someone very special in our lives.

Outside the Apple store it was very quiet and somber. People were standing around reading the messages on the post-it notes and then quietly going on with their day.

I think it will be a while before the world sees another person that could make people get excited about technology like he did. When you saw his simple signature look of a black skivvy and blue jeans on stage, you knew a new piece of revolutionary technology was about to be launched. And it would be so stylish and profound that up until that moment you didn't realise you needed it. But now you realised you did.

Even though I don't use any Apple products (I know, shock and horror - I bought an iPod Nano years ago and got bored of it - because I prefer a radio) I can still very much appreciate what Steve did to make technology fun and accessible to all age groups. Thanks Steve......you will be missed.