Wednesday, July 27, 2011

World Trade Centre & Brooklyn Bridge

Today I decided to head downtown to check out the World Trade Centre site and the Brooklyn Bridge. If you are staying mid town or uptown it's a very long walk, so the best thing to do is take the subway.

Rule No13: Get to know how the subway works, it can save you a lot of time getting around Manhattan. It's not that hard. Each of the different main lines are different colours, and have different route options (for that line) labelled in a coloured circle (ie the red line has 1, 2, 3, 4).



Under each station name there are tiny numbers displayed. This tells you what route number stops at that station. For example, if you look at Houstan Street on the Red Line you will see the numbers "1 and 9" under its name. That means only routes 1 and 9 on the red line stop at Houstan Street.

Ok back to my adventure....

I decided to walk down to the World Trade Centre because my legs needed a stretch. Even though it was yet another hot day that did not stop me. I walked all the way down to the end of 6th street. As I got closer towards downtown I passed a Fire station and up on the outside of the wall were approx. 12 plaqs, one for each fire fighter that lost their life on September 11. I decided not to take a photo of that out of respect for the living fire fighters inside. I did not want them to think that loosing their fellow workmates in such a horrific event was being turned into a tourist attraction.

One of the reasons why I wanted to go to Ground Zero was because when Bryan and I visited the site nearly 5 years ago, there was still a massive hole in the ground and not a lot of visible re-work. I am happy to report that the site has come on in leaps and bounds.

One of the buildings that make up the World Trade Centre
I visited the temporary memorial centre. The real Memorial Centre is going to be opened on 9/11 this year. I can't believe it has been 10 years since that fateful day. I don't know if you remember what you were doing when you heard what was happening I know I do.

The temporary memorial centre is definitely a sombre place, people were very quiet taking in the different accounts of what happened that day. You could listen to interview and read from information they had up on the walls.

These are personal belongings of the first fire chief that arrived on site.  He was in the second tower when it came down. His body was never found.
This miniature version of the Statue of Liberty was outside near the World Trade Centre. People stuck badges (of the different police and fire divisions that had lost someone) , mass cards, photos and flags onto it as a sign of remembrance for their missing loved ones.
 Right next to the World Trade Centre is the oldest public building in Manhattan that still in use "St Paul's Chapel". Now, this little chapel has someone very special looking over it. It is literally right across the road from the World Trade Centre and when the two towers came down all the buildings except for this little church had severe damage to them. Not one piece of this church was affected. It also witnessed the Great Fire of New York city in 1776. So it has come through some major events.

St Paul's

St Paul's

This little cemetery has some very old guests buried here. I found quite a few that were buried 60 years before Australia was even colonised (1788)! If you look in the background of this photo you can see the green/blue fence that marks the perimeter of the World Trade Centre.

The Tribute Bell. This bell is run when terrorist events occur around the world as a sign of remembrance to those innocent people who have lost their lives.

During the recovery phase of 9/11 St Paul's was used as the command post in managing the retrieval and removal of bodies and debris. For many of the Fire Fighters, Police and Ambulance personnel it also became a temporary refuge where after completing a 12 hour shift in "the Pitt" (as they called it) they would come into "St Pauls" to get some sleep on some cots that the Volunteers had set up.

A Fire Fighter's outfit left on one pew. The wooden pews were also used as beds.

A very small amount of the tributes that once surrounded the World Trade Centre site.

Now, looking at brighter memories, this little church had a name for itself long before 9/11. Some very important people came and attended service here. One person even on his inauguration day - George Washington.

George Washington Box - with the original chairs.
After I left St Paul's I decided a needed a little pick-me-up so off I went in search of the Brooklyn Bridge. On my way I passed New Yorks "City Hall" and City Hall Park. The park is amazing, it has some awesome modern sculptures in it.

Modern sculpture in City Hall Park.

Another sculpture in City Hall Park

Fountain in front of City Hall. The lights on the corner of the fountain are gas lanterns which are still running on gasoline today.

A modern sculpture in front of City Hall.

City Hall
Unfortunately it was closed off to the public. Im not too sure if it is always closed off to the public so you'll need to find out - if you want to visit it!

Right next to City Hall is the walkway for the Brooklyn Bridge so off I went to concur it! It's a really nice bridge to do at the end of the day because of the sunset and also (and more importantly) when you walk onto the bridge itself you are walking on a raised wooden platform which is heaven on your feet if you have been walking around all day.

The path onto Brooklyn Bridge. Both cyclists and pedestrians share the one access.


Manhattan Bridge

Under one of BB's pylons 

The raised wooden walkway - the traffic runs underneath to either side of the walkway.
After I had finished my walk across (and back) Brooklyn Bridge I decided to head home. On the way to the subway I passed some of the law courts.

Rule No13. Look up! Look up! Look up!  All I can say again and again is, don't forget to look up....the work on some of the buildings in New York are amazing.

The top of one of the law courts

Another of the law courts - I think this one is the family law court

This cute little squirrel found a cool spot next to the concrete and was resting there when I walked by.
I spent some time with this cute little squirrel, I was able to get so close to him/her. I just love them. The poor little thing was panting so hard from the heat.