Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wandering up 5th Avenue

The other day when I got rained out (Empire State Building day) I had planned to wonder up 5th Avenue and check out all the different stores and buildings that makes up this famous avenue. I decided to try again and my first stop was the New York City Public Library. What a beautiful place. I recommend that you stop and check it out if you're visiting NYC. And if possible, if you have the time, bring a book and take a few minutes out reading and soaking up the atmosphere of this magnificent library. Besides the beautiful frescos and detailed ceilings what's fantastic about this library is that is being used, it's not corded off purely for viewing purposes.

Outside of the New York City Library

Hallway inside the Library.

Throughout the Library there are the most amazing candelabras.
This one is just inside the entrance to the Library.

One of the reading/research rooms.

Some of the detail which makes up one of the ceilings.


One of the Fresco's

Stairs going up to the top floor where the most amazing fresco's are


Entrance into one of the reading rooms.

Another research room.

The carpentry and detailed wood work in this building is
truly breathtaking and extremely well maintained.
After exiting the Library, to my relief it was not raining, so I decided to continue up 5th Avenue to St Patrick's Cathedral. Now as Cathedral's go, it's a very pretty one. Not the greatest I've seen but still very pretty.






I couldn't believe my luck there was still no sign of rain after I left St Patrick's, so I crossed the road to Rockefeller Plaza and had a look around. Now, I love this plaza. When I came to New York the first time, I fell in love it the moment I saw it. Yeah sure, it was decorated with the most amazing Christmas decorations (this is something that American's know how to do unbelievably well) and I was rugged up in a coat, gloves and scarf, but even now in Summer it has something magical about it. I can't really tell you what it is........it's just something I feel when I am in that Plaza. 

The Greek Legend Titan - Representing Strength and Power
(outside one of the main buildings in Rockefeller Plaza)

An entrance to one of the buildings that make up Rockefeller Plaza
(nineteen buildings make up Rockefeller Plaza) 

In winter this is where the outdoor staking rink (that you see in
many movies) is located

The Logo Store at Rockefeller Plaza

Pick and Mix of lego pieces - it was an entire wall of
different brick sizes and colours.

Lego's version of Titan. Pretty cute huh!


ABC Studios where they tape Good Morning America.

Another decorative entrance.

Inside Rockefeller Centre. This painting also encompasses the roof.
Rockefeller Centre offers the option for you to go to the "Top of the Rock" another viewing/observation deck where you can see all around Manhattan. I didn't do it this time, but the last time I did and I personally think it is better than the Empire State building. If you are into photography you can get some amazing photos of the New York skyline from up the "Top of the Rock".

After leaving Rockefeller Centre I was on a happy cloud so I headed for SAKS Fifth Avenue, where I quickly came down with a big heavy thud! It's a beautiful store - but I just wanna know where people are getting all this money from to spend on exclusive designer products such as clothes, handbags, etc. I mean, there were loads and loads of people walking around with Louis Vuitton, Channel and Coach shopping bags, and not just one or two of them either -  It's crazy! 

But if you do want ultra designer (such as Salvatore Ferrigamo etc) SAKS is the place to shop. Sales Consultants are just falling over you to help you. And it really is a beautiful place to shop. 

After SAKS I went to the one store I had been dying to get to since arriving in New York city - FAO Schwarz. I was a little let down as it's not as big as I thought it would be. But they do have some great toys such as a real size plush horse for $900 USD. :) And I got to see the big piano that was featured in the movie "BIG" with Tom Hanks.

Entrance to FAO Schwarz.

The Smurfs display inside FAO Schwarz.

Some of the "smaller" plush animals.

The Big Piano.

A Barbie Foosball table. How cool!

A toy soldier made out of Jelly Belly Beans.
By the time I had finished looking around FAO Schwarz I was knackered, so I made my way for home walking down Madison Avenue. I had a great day checking out some more of the famous landmarks of New York City - and I didn't get wet!